The only way to prevent a stroke is by preventing the stroke risk factors. Of course certain uncontrollable factors such as age, family history, ethnicity, genetics, etc. are beyond our control, other controllable factors can decrease the chances of stroke.
Few ways to build a healthy life and prevent stroke
- Lower blood pressure: High blood pressure increases the risk of stroke. It is always advisable to keep a track on your blood pressure and take proper treatment. One should avoid salt and high cholesterol foods and do more exercise.
- Maintain the right weight: Obesity is a major problem for all heart diseases and strokes too. For heart disease prevention it is necessary to maintain an appropriate weight by eating a balanced and healthy diet and doing physical activity and exercise.
- Treatment for diabetes: Diabetes causes blood clots and damages the cells leading to stroke. It is, therefore, necessary to keep the blood sugar level in control. This can be achieved by monitoring the blood sugar level, eating a healthy diet, taking medicines regularly and exercise.
- Treatment for atrial fibrillation: Atrial fibrillation causes clots that lead to stroke and heart attacks. If one is suffering from atrial fibrillation he should get it treated to avoid the risk of stroke.
- Quit smoking and drinking: These two are a primary risk factor for stroke as they thicken the blood and block the arteries. Excessive smoking or drinking may cause heart attack and stroke. Hence quitting smoking and drinking is the best way to reduce the risk of stroke.
- De-stress: One can de-stress by talking to friends, watching comedy shows, taking a walk, doing yoga, meditation etc. This is very helpful in leading a healthy and happy life.
- Get routine checkups: It is very necessary to get our routine check-up done to detect any symptoms of complications that may lead to stroke or heart disease.
Physical activeness, healthy heart and weight, good lifestyle, proper medication, heart attack prevention and exercise are the key to preventing a stroke. Include plenty of vegetables, grains, nuts, and fruits in your diet. By taking basic precaution and detecting early signs of a stroke one can reduce the chances of stroke.